Protect our children
As you may be aware, Wilton is currently facing 2 civil lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by a paraprofessional, Eric Von Kohorn, who was employed by the Wilton School System and assigned to the Pre-K program at Miller-Driscoll from 2007 until he was arrested in 2014. His eventual arrest was not related to the accusations in the two lawsuits, but rather by the State Police finding child pornography on his computer.
On reviewing documents from the lawsuits, Shipman & Goodwin legal billing and information in the press I was appalled at how the Wilton School System and the Board of Education failed to protect some of our youngest children. When a family alleged their daughter was sexually abused by a preschool paraprofessional at Miller-Driscoll School in 2012, The Director of the Pre-K, Dr Fred Repczynski:
- Failed to file a report with the Department of Child and Families (DCF) in the time prescribed in the law.
- When he did file, presented it in a fashion as if nothing had happened
- Did not tell parents that Von Kohorn had admitted taking Jane Doe into bath room against school policy.
- In his deposition stated Girl Doe’s teacher, considered her behavior “provocative” or “flirtatious” essentially casting doubt on a four year old child.
Dr. Rapczynski was not alone in failing to take action to properly investigate the sexual abuse complaint. It seems in the Wilton School System highly paid managers are never held responsible for anything ( Management failure ) :
- Ann Paul, Director of Special Services never pursued a thorough investigation.
- Superintendent Richards was aware of the complaint and never pursued it.
- The Board of Education (BoE) never called for a thorough investigation and even promoted Ann Paul to Assistant Superintendent, with a large pay raise, after the school system was advised of the investigation of Van Kolhorn. ( Bulletin article with detail )
We the citizens of Wilton also bear a responsibility for allowing this reckless behavior by the school system and the BoE. Sensible Wilton believes the only way to get the attention of the BoE is through the budget process. We believe a NO vote on the budget is important to get their attention.